We Want Any Car
Get your FREE valuation now

Frequently Asked Questions

Home > Frequently Asked Questions > What documents do I need to sell my car?

What documents do I need to sell my car?

With We Want Any Car, it’s easy to sell your car in no time at all, even if you’re not the registered keeper! Once you’ve received your free valuation, you’ll need to find your important vehicle documents to bring along to an appointment at one of our local branches. Here is a checklist to help you find all the necessary items.

Your vehicle documents

  • V5C registration document*
  • MOT certificate (if applicable)
  • If you have any outstanding finance on your vehicle, you will need to bring a letter from the finance company confirming their settlement figure and validity
  • Service book and handbook (as well as any extras such as spare keys, locking wheel nuts, radio & key codes, sat-nav discs)
*Unfortunately, if you don't have V5C document we cannot buy your vehicle. But, you can apply for a new one by filling in a V62 form from the DVLA here. Once you have completed this process, then we can buy your car.

Your personal documents

We also ask that you bring along some personal documents so that we can complete the sale of your car and begin the payment process efficiently. This includes:

  • Personal identification - a photo driving license or passport
  • Either a utility bill, bank / credit card statement or a council tax statement**
  • Your UK bank details
**The address needs to be your current address and match the address on the V5 registration document

What if I'm not the registered keeper?

Don’t stress if you are not the registered keeper, you can still sell your car with us subject to circumstances. You will need written authorisation from the registered keeper that you have permission to sell their vehicle. You will also need their photo ID (either a passport or photo driving licence). Once you have both of these, we can continue with the car sale. Another thing to consider is that you will need their bank details as the money will be transferred into their account. It really is as simple as that. If you are looking for more details about the types of documents you might need and why, see this further page in the car selling guides section of our website.

Documents you need to sell your car
Back to FAQs
Do you have any other questions?
Contact WeWantAnyCar.com online or phone us on 0843 645 0000 or 01543 592050

Calls cost 3.5p/minute from a BT landline. Other service providers including mobiles may be higher. In addition you will be liable to pay your service provider's access cost.

70 branches nationwide
Find your nearest branch
We have over 70 branches nationwide where you can sell your car to us.
Enter your postcode, town or city below to find your nearest branch.
We have over seventy locations across the UK, so you will never be more than a short drive from your local branch to sell your car today. Use our branch locator to find more information on how to contact us.
FindSearch for a branch